Wednesday 10 April 2013

40 years

Wow, well I have had a great few days holiday. My brother and his wife and three wonderful children visited from Dubai, and my Mom and Dad came up to stay in Cape Town. What a spoil to have them, my very special friends and my "cape town family" all together to celebrate my 40th birthday on the 1st April.

Having all of my family and friends with me was a very real experience of how valuable support and friendship is. The ink on my divorce papers dried almost 6 months ago, yet still celebrating this milestone as a single person without my spouse at my side was a challenge. I found myself sitting in an amazing setting in Noordhoek just outside Cape Town both missing the life that I had, and at the same time enjoying the life that I have now. Looking at Silvermine mountain, and discussing my Kilimanjaro attempt naturally led me to thinking about some of "my" patients; the young 10 year old boy who was not able to go home for the long weekend in Easter as his family can't afford the travel expense,  a 35 year old woman crying because she was too sick to go home, yet did not have funds for her family to visit her. Its hard not to just whip out my wallet and pay for them, but I know that this all had to be managed properly with the assistance of our brilliant social workers.

Most of our patients qualify for a disability grant of around R1000 per month. But would you be able to still purchase personal items and provide for your family on that?? In the type of situation spending R50 on transport to go home once a month or have family visit you is an extraordinary expense. So I am asking anyone who is reading this to PLEASE donate via www.tbhivcare.org. The moment you donate you will see that line towards our progress change. Even just R50 (that's not even 10 euros) will help a patient get to his or her family, or allow a family member to visit. This can really improve quality of life especially if you consider that many patients are here for up to 6 months and some even more. This money will all be spent with care and consideration and will not just be absorbed into some huge organisation.

Please encourage your friends and family to donate and Like my profile on facebook - kileighmanjaro.vs.tb.

BIG THANK YOU TO SOUL ADVENTURES AND CAPE UNION MART
www.capeunionmart.co.za
www.souladventures.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment